To be eligible for funding candidates must meet the criteria set by our funders; namely the European Social Fund (ESF) via the Welsh European Funding Office (WEFO) and if applying for an Engineering Doctorate, the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
All candidates must:
- · Have an Engineering or Physical Sciences degree (minimum level 2:1), or a combination of degree and equivalent experience to the same level;
- · Be eligible for Home/EU tuition fees. Refer to the UK Council for International Student Affairs Wales Fee Status Information for more information;
- · Have the legal right to work in the UK at the end of their studies;
- · Be resident in West Wales and the Valleys (area highlighted in dark pink on the map opposite) upon enrolment; and
- · Not be financially able to participate without the award of grant funding (i.e. do not have funds in excess of £71,000).
Engineering Doctorate candidates must also have:
- · ‘Settled’ status in the UK, meaning there are no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK;
- · Been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the studentship grant. This means they have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences); and
- · Not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. (This does not apply to UK Nationals and EU Nationals who were ordinarily resident in the EU immediately before the period of full-time education).
For full EPSRC student eligibility criteria, including information, for example about refugees, migrant workers, residence for education and EEA nationals please refer here.
Additionally, we would normally expect candidates to have met the University’s English Language requirements (e.g. IELTS 6.5 overall with 5.5+ in each component) by point of application.
Due to funding restrictions, scholarships are not open to ‘International’ candidates.
Please note, successful candidates are not eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan.
If you are unsure whether you meet the eligibility requirements, please Contact us.